It seems along with the video game awards Spike TV is attempting to break into the niche market known as video game television. This year Spike hopes to provide superior coverage of the biggest event in gaming, E3. In order to give their coverage something different, Spike asked gaming developer and recent indie studio head Peter Molyneux to lend his expertise to their on air panel. Molyneux was quick to respond and accept the invitation and will accompy master of ceremonies Geoff Keighley and a rotating number of Kotaku editors during the entirety of the event.
If Spike wants to win over TV audiences with its coverage now would be the year to do it. With G4TV losing Adam Sessler earlier this year, members of the gaming community have decided that the station has perhaps lost a large portion of its credibility. Add on the fact that for many residents Spike TV is a channel that comes with basic cable rather than the premium G4 and you have a winning combination.
Yesterday Kotaku editor Stephan Totilo published various e-mails exchanged by the three, which have Molyneux giving his opinions on what to expect this year:
- Sony and Msft are holding their breath on next gen interesting to see how they pad out another year. Price cuts, form factors?
- Nintendo’s slightly lack lustre Wii U is going to have to blow us away with better specs and great 1st party line up.
- The real challenge is how the players are going to adapt to the mounting pressure of Facebook, Apple, Social, Cloud, Multi-Gaming.
- Is the biggest news that E3 itself runs the risk of being outdated, or perhaps it already is?
- I guess I am excited about GTA V, but only in a mildly curious way.
- I am excited, as always, to hear from Valve.
- I would expect some announcement from Bungie
- God only knows what COD will have to destroy in the Press briefing demo, after last year’s destruction of NY
Those seem to be some safe predictions, and you will be able to catch Spike’s All Access Panel starting June 4th on Spike TV. Kotaku will also be live streaming the event with no delay starting June 4th as well.