I went through an emotional roller coaster listening to this album. Listening to the songs took me through the different scenes from the films and made me re-live those emotions.
The Prague Philharmonic Orchestra have done a brilliant job. They didn’t take on every song from the films, though I wish they did. However, they did this all so beautifully, it’s still a wonderful album that every Harry Potter fan needs to add this to their collection along with each original soundtrack to the films. The first three of which are by the ever so brilliant John Williams, third one by Patrick Doyle, fourth and fifth by Nicholas Hooper, and the final two by Alexandre Desplat. All of them build upon John Williams’ original work exquisitely.
The first disc has scores from The Philosopher’s Stone (Sorceress Stone) to Prisoner Of Azkaban. The second disc starts from Goblet of Fire and ends with Deathly Hallows Part 2.
From Disc 1, some of my favorites:
- Hedwig’s Theme (Philosopher’s Stone) - They put their beautiful touch to the score and it sounds amazing. Of course, this is the song that most of us fans get emotional listening to and I guarantee you will cry or at least shed a tear then smile uncontrollably throughout this track.
- The Chamber Of Secrets (Chamber Of Secrets) - They do a nice job with this score. They made it sound a little darker then it did in the films, which I kind of didn’t like but overall it still sounds utterly beautiful.
- Aunt Marge’s Waltz (Prisoner Of Azkaban) - This score is one of the most fun scores in all the films. They do a terrific job. The melodies make it sound close to what John Williams composed.
From Disc 2, some more of my favorites:
- Quidditch World Cup/ Foreign Visitors Arrive (Goblet Of Fire) - Mixing these two scores together is a tremendous idea that they handled perfectly.
- A Journey to Hogwarts/ Fireworks (Order Of The Phoenix) - Fireworks is my second favorite Harry Potter score; it’s so good. I like how they did Fireworks, but it doesn’t live up to the original.
- Dumbledore’s Farewell (Half-Blood Prince) - This, along with Hedwig’s Theme and Lily’s Theme, are my favorites in this album. They did such an emotionally beautiful job on this score that it made me cry.
- Obliviate (Deathly Hallows Part 1) - It sounds perfect, just like in the film.
- Lily’s Theme (Deathly Hallows Part 2) - Utterly perfect in every which way.
The Complete Track Listing:
- Hedwig’s Theme
- Harry’s Wondrous World
- Nimbus 2000
- Christmas at Hogwarts
- Leaving Hogwarts
- Fawkes The Phoenix
- The Chamber Of Secrets
- Gilderoy Lockhart
- Dobby The House Elf
- Cakes for Crabbe and Goyle
- Reunion of Friends
- Aunt Marge’s Waltz
- The Knight Bus
- Double Trouble
- A Window to the Past
- Witches, Wands And Wizards
- Mischief Managed / A Window To The Past / Buckbeak’s Flight
- Quidditch World Cup / Foreign Visitors Arrive
- The Golden Egg
- Neville’s Waltz
- Harry In Winter
- Potter Waltz
- Black Lake
- Hogwarts March
- Another Year Ends
- Hogwarts Hymn
- A Journey To Hogwarts / Fireworks
- Professor Umbridge
- Sirius Deception / Dumbledore’s Army
- Flight of the Order of the Phoenix
- Loved Ones and Leaving
- Dumbledore’s Farewell
- Lily’s Theme