This week, I’d like for our esteemed readers to get to know our writer Brian Rudloff. Our friendship started freshman year at USC when we found out we both liked Buffy and we’ve been pop culturally bonded ever since! When it came time for me to find someone to cover San Diego Comic Con, I knew just who would be the perfect companion for that madness. This was his TENTH Con and a huge help in getting some of that awesome coverage and insight we posted in the four short days we were there.
1. What drew you to the Screen Invasion team, over other bigger and older entertainment websites?
The best editor-in-chief ever, of all the interweb sites, Kristal Bailey.
2. Briefly describe what you write about for the site for our readers.
I have a (almost) weekly feature, Video Vault, where I watch a semi-forgotten movie on VHS and share my thoughts on it. Sometimes it’s irreverent, sometimes it’s serious, most of the time it’s worth reading (at least I like reading it!). I also contribute to other special features on the site and sometimes do news, I try to stay on top of any movie-related theme park news as that is another passion of mine.
3. What’s one pop culture goal you want to accomplish before the world ends? (Mayan calendar predicts the apocalypse will be 12/21/2012)
Cosplay as Daenerys Targaryen.
4. What’s your desert island movie and why?
I will never ever tire of Kill Bill.
5. What’s your background in writing?
Studied blogging under University of Southern California’s professor Geoffrey Middlebrook, PH.D. Also, I grew up reading English and know all the wordz.
6. What’s your guilty pleasure flick?
High School Musical 3. Seriously, this is not a joke. I f**king love High School Musical 3! It is the most-watched Blu-Ray in my home, and I’m not guilty about it at all! It is a beautiful accidental masterpiece, a hyper-self-aware meta examination of the movie musical, and a joyous celebration of youth and the friends we meet along the way. It rules. Ok, yep, I’m changing my desert island movie now to HSM3.
7. When you aren’t writing and watching movies – what do you do for fun?
Drink, karaoke, and European tabletop games.
8. If you could have dinner with 3 fictional characters – who would it be and why? What would you want to talk about?
Ron Swanson, because he would teach me the correct way to live. The Cheshire Cat (The 1951 Disney iteration) because how insane would that dinner be!?! Also, Sterling Halloway’s voice is aurally delightful. And, thirdly, I would have dinner with whatever Liv Tyler’s character’s name is in That Thing You Do!…and we would discuss our happy future together.
For more, you can follow Brian on Twitter: @RealBrianRudlof