Today we had the honor of being part of the Marvel Press Conference, where actors and production staff from Captain America: The Winter Solider, and Guardians of the Galaxy. Some of the people who joined the panel included Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie, Benicio Del Toro, and Chris Pratt, amongst others. Here are a few of the most interesting things that we learned from the press conference today!
1. Captain America 2 is Set in Present Time- The first Captain American movie was set in the 1940′s, with only the ending taking place in modern time. It was revealed that this installment of the Captain America series will take place two years after Avengers ended, with Captain America working with the S.H.I.E.L.D team in the meantime. That team will be heavily featured in the next one.
2. The Captain is All Caught Up- One of the most consistent themes of the Avengers movie was the lack of knowledge Steve Rogers had in the modern era. Jokes about the internet and basic technology provided small moments of humor, but according to Evans, Rogers is all caught up on the latest trends in this one.
3. Mackie Wants to Be in the Avengers- One of the biggest additions to the second Captain America movie is Anthony Mackie, who will be playing the super hero Falcon. While he appears to be a big part of this installment of the Marvel franchise, his potential role in the next Avengers movie is unknown, but if he has his way, he will be in it. When asked if he would like to be in the next Avengers movie, Mackie immediately nodded his head yes repeating, then laughed and joked “Does that answer your question?”
4. Chris Pratt Cried His Weight Off- Chris Pratt, known best as the slightly chubby funny guy on Parks and Recreation, bulked up big for Guardians of the Galaxy. According to him, his training included “six months of lifting weights, cardio, really strict nutrition. I cried 48 pounds off the rest was being hungry.” He also revealed that for his recent birthday, he was given a platter of vegetables that spelled out Happy Birthday!
5. Dave Batista has Huge Hands, and he was Very Intimidated- When the subject of Batista’s strength came up, Zoe Saldana interjected and said “His hands are huge! If it’s raining I just tell Dave to put his hand over me and I’m good!” When asked whether his past with the WWE helped him with acting, Batista said “No it really didn’t Performing in front of 100,000 people is fine. When you go to an audition, it’s so much more personal and intimate. There’s way more pressure on for that then with wresting shows.”
6. Djimon Hounsou Looking to Change Perspectives- Hounsou shared a personal story about his 4-year-old son, who said “I wish I was light skinned so that I could be Spider-Man.” Hounsou went on to say how happy he was to be an African-American actor playing a superhero to try and change this perception. In addition to Hounsou, Omar Sy was confirmed today to play Bishop in X-Men Days of Future Past, coming out next year.
7. Benicio Del Toro Owned an Alligator- The panel ended with a bang, as James Gunn shared a great story of him with Benicio Del Toro. Gunn said that one of the first times they met to talk about the movie, Del Toro, apparently unprompted, told Gunn, “Yeah when I was 10, I was the first kid in my neighborhood to own a pet allgiator.” According to Gunn, that was one of the top 10 sentences he’s ever heard.